Friday, March 8, 2013

underground boxing

let's start with the best thing that Australia has ever produced:
My mind is kind of jumbled, so this blog might be all over the place.  What's that you say?  My blog is always all over the place?  Well, dually noted my little meerkat, what I mean to say is that this blog will be more all over the place than usual.
I bought a new bed spread and I love love love it.  here's a picture:

Creamsicle, anyone?  How about halloween?
I work at the Hale.  You know that.  I love my job there.  I don't want to do anything else for the rest of my life.  It's just a really fantastic place to work. 
Right now, we are showing civil war.  I wasn't excited about Civil War.  I thought it was going to be boring and what?  There's no plot? So it will be 2 1/2 hours of pointless music?  When does urine Town* open, again?  I mean, that was honestly my train of thought.  I was quick to judge.
But I was really wrong. 
There are so many aspects to the civil war that we don't even think about.  Well, that I didn't ever think about. 
For example: Who was the first person to see an African American and think "Oh yeah.  This will be good.  I won't work anymore.  I'll just grab this guy and he can do it for me."  you know what I'm saying?  Maybe it happened that we invaded their land and took them as a prisoner and they became our slave or something like that? 
Anyway, there were people in the south who got thousands and thousands of dollars of free labor a day from people who were born, lived and died doing nothing but hard labor, day in and day out.  Isn't that a weird thought?  And there were people that were convinced that it was their God-given right to have these men and women do their bidding for free and without their consent.  What's more, you could kill them!  "I don't like what you said 'blam' you're dead" and that was okay.  I mean, that is the African American heritage.  You know, like the Irish and their underground boxing? or Canadians and nothing?  Captivity is their heritage
And people believed this.  People believed in their way of life so much, that they took up their guns and they fought for it.  They sacrificed their lives to preserve their way of life.  It's a selfless thing to do actually.  "I will die.  Not for me, but for my family and my children and my children's children."

In that sense, I'm envious of them.  Lately, I've been asking myself if there is anything the I believe in enough that I would grab my gun and protect it.  And I like to believe that on certain principles, I would stand.  I would draw the line and say 'this is unacceptable.'  I want to be so passionate about something that I would take a gun and defend it. (do i sound crazy?)

I guess that's why people died, though.  So I could sit in my soft, snuggly (ugh) bed and not worry about that.  People died on my behalf.  People died on the African American people's half.  They were real people.  They were kids and they were men.  Six hundred thousand died.  Six hundred thousand people.  So that African Americans could enjoy the same freedoms as white people.  That's honor man.  That's honor and that's passion.  What would you die for? 
 One more thing: What about Abraham Lincoln?  Talk about the weight of the whole world on his shoulders.  He's try to preserve the union, appease the blacks and appease the whites.  He walked a tight rope without a net and eventually gave his life.  I wonder if God had said "this poor guy has had enough" and it was his way of rewarding him.  Who knows.
I have so much more to say about all of this, but I have a meeting with Cody Swenson in the morning (don't fire me! Please??) and I'm tired (I ran 2 miles tonight!  And then I knocked out 50 pushups.).  I will talk to you later. Goodnight blogosphere.
Should I drop out of school?

I love you for reading.  Seriously.
Always do what you are afraid to do.




*Urine Town is the show that come once Civil War closes.  "The title is awul" you think.  But what do you know?  it's a really funny commentary on politics and our life today.

1 comment:

  1. Andy, we love you. And your new bedspread. And that you ran 2 miles. And that you're kind of crazy in a loveable way. Please don't drop out of school. You should probably just finish already. K? Love, the Popes

    ReplyDelete