Tuesday, August 21, 2012

hey, you suck. Here's why.

I am bugged about something.  Honestly, I'm a little irritated.  And it's been something that has consistently bothered me throughout my entire serving career.  It only happens every now and then, so it's not like it's a huge deal; it's not like I die.  But, it's enough to hang onto and recognize that it happens.
Look at this picture:
 If you look hard enough, it says "you suck!" at the top.  With an exclamation mark, none the less!  it wasn't enough to just say it, she had to exclaim it. 

At work, a pair of women came in.  One ordered an Arnold Palmer and the other, water.  I kept their drinks full and got their food orders right.  When they wanted dessert, I got it to them.  They paid separately, but they both left me a dollar and one of them wrote that little ditty right there at the top of the ticket.  "You suck!" she exclaimed.  How do I argue that?  How am I supposed to defend myself from that attack?  I can't.  And that's where my contention comes from. 
How am I supposed to get any better as a waiter or bartender, if I can't get any feedback?  Ask to speak to a manager or let me know where I have failed you.  You can't just write "you suck!" and call it good, can you?  What happened?  Where did our journey go wrong?  I think writing belittling insults like "you suck!" and leaving is one of the worst ways to deal with a bad visit to a restaurant.  It's also rather cowardly.  Don't you think?  It's way more difficult to look me in the eyes and say "hey, you suck, here's why" than writing "you suck!" and leaving a dollar.

I'm just bugged about the whole thing.

Here's an interesting thing that I wonder if some will take offense to (and if not offense, perhaps a gate.  Eh? see what I did?  Say it aloud.).  Sometimes, I use prayer to absolve myself of responsibility.  If ever there is something that I want to do or want to say or want to ______, I will say a prayer.  In that prayer, I will say something to the effect of "God, if this is something that I shouldn't do, please make that apparent," or "God, if this is something I shouldn't say, please stop me."  Then, I go and do or say or _____ that thing.  And I have never been stopped.  Nope, not once.  Ha ha ha.  Do you see though, how I am absolved from being the responsible party?  "If I shouldn't have done such and such thing, God would have stopped me, but he didn't and holy smoke, do I always talk in run on sentences?"  I just realized it a few days ago.  It makes me more bold of a person.  It's like manifest destiny, you know?  Just a smaller, more personal, to-scale model.  There's more I want to say about this, but I think that's all I've got on the matter for now.

I love you for reading.
Just tie the rope.
I could fly, if I wanted to.



No comments:

Post a Comment